ABOUT MABEL'S HEIR
- Mabel Strickland chose Robert Hornyold-Strickland, her great nephew, to be her sole and universal heir in 1975. She never changed her choice.
- Robert Hornyold-Strickland is a qualified Chartered Accountant. He worked for the accountancy firm KPMG in the UK for many years and has served on the board of many companies in the UK, France and Malta.
- Having retired from business, Robert is now an artist, having taken up this passion later in life. A student at the Heatherley School of Art in London, UK, he has become a widely acclaimed portrait sculptor working in a variety of media, but principally in bronze, and particularly known for his portrait busts and figurative works.
- Robert grew up in his family home - Sizergh Castle, near Kendal in the UK where his family have lived for the last 800 years.
- Robert became a Maltese citizen in 2013 and now has dual nationality. He lives in Mabel Strickland’s former home, Villa Parisio in Lija, with his wife and family, in accordance with the specific wishes of his great Aunt the Hon Mabel Strickland and with the aim of carrying forward her legacy in Malta.
- Robert is the great grandson of Lord Strickland, GCMG, Prime Minister of Malta between the wars (1927-1932) and a great-nephew of The Hon Mabel Strickland, O.B.E.
Robert Strickland at work, sculpting.